Mobility equipment

One of the symptoms of sIBM is the degeneration of the quadricep muscles, which requires the use of chairs hgher than standard or uplift seats etc. We have been exploring the purchase of a motorized wheel chair(not a power chair) with a floor to seat height of at least 23". Have not had any success. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Hey there,

I haven't gotten to the wheelchair stage for getting around yet but my quads are all but gone. I always sit at the bar or high top area when I go out for that very reason. I also have a high top and bar stools at home now. Plus I raised my washer/dryer to the height of a bar stool so I can still do my laundry. Keeping in mind I might have to wheel up to them. So they're perfectly placed for the future too.

Generally I can use crutches. But have a folding wheelchair in case friends drag me out to festivals, ball games, concerts or areas that are large. So I'll need a referral for this phase when I do get there.

But.....the timing of this post is interesting. Because the elevator lift guys are installing my lfit right now so that when I do need a chair I can get to the second floor of my split-level to use the kitchen! I can recommend/refer Kencor Elevators for the mid-Atlantic. They custom-fit it right into the space that we needed it go in. Plus it came already assembled so they took 2 hours with minimal disruption!

I hope this helps for IBM folks that can modify their house or have a split level. When I need a chair I'll look back into this discussion for any referrals/suggestions that might pop up.

Take care, stay mobile, be careful all!

Have you considered a rehab wheelchair/power chair that lifts? They are not inexpensive, but you can get a chair with a 6" or 12" power lift mechanism. My dad is 6'3" so we've explored just about every piece of equipment (toilet lifts, recliners, power chairs, etc) for taller people or at least those with symptoms specific to IBM.

Debbie

Debbie Tremain said:

Have you considered a rehab wheelchair/power chair that lifts? They are not inexpensive, but you can get a chair with a 6" or 12" power lift mechanism. My dad is 6'3" so we've explored just about every piece of equipment (toilet lifts, recliners, power chairs, etc) for taller people or at least those with symptoms specific to IBM.

Debbie

Here’s how the lift looks. A wheelchair fits in. I’m a big guy. So it’s a big chair. Thanks again for bringing up ideas for chairs.
19-image.jpg (248 KB)

I was able to get a HOVEROUND that has a seat that goes up and allows me to get off. The chair was paid by Medicare but the extra cost for the mechanism we had to pay for.

It works pretty well for me and we even have a lift in our car which takes me to
'visits". In any place where you are going to "sit" in a table (you, in the Hoveround) be sure you fit or not!

Good luck! Herb Weinstein

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Me too!

Please advise manufacturer. Thank you

guyids said:

Debbie Tremain said:

Have you considered a rehab wheelchair/power chair that lifts? They are not inexpensive, but you can get a chair with a 6" or 12" power lift mechanism. My dad is 6’3" so we’ve explored just about every piece of equipment (toilet lifts, recliners, power chairs, etc) for taller people or at least those with symptoms specific to IBM.

Debbie

guyids said:

guyids said:

Debbie Tremain said:

Debbie

w

guyids said:

guyids said:

guyids said:

Debbie Tremain said:

Have you considered a rehab wheelchair/power chair that lifts? They are not inexpensive, but you can get a chair with a 6" or 12" power lift mechanism. My dad is 6’3" so we’ve explored just about every piece of equipment (toilet lifts, recliners, power chairs, etc) for taller people or at least those with symptoms specific to IBM.

Debbie

who is the manufacturer? thank you

This discussion is very helpful for my Dad, as getting into and out of any chair now is a challenge. Could someone give me a manufacturer name for the wheelchair?

Also, we are exploring patient lifts. There is one called a Sit-to-Stand, made by Reliant, which we think might work. It can be rented from MedMart (locally, in Cincinnati) by the month. Worth a shot.

I'm sorry I missed the earlier requests for manufacturers info! Because of my dad's height (6'3") it has sometimes been a struggle to find equipment that works for him. The power wheelchair my dad uses is: Quickie QM-710 and has a substantial rise. It also has a recline/tilt feature which has been very helpful.

His lift recliner (which has a vertical lift option, rather than the standard forward tilt motion) is made by Golden. His power toilet lift is made by LiftSeat (located in Illinois).

Thank you for the information regarding the Sit-to-Stand product. I'm hoping we can find one to rent and try out in the St. Louis area.

Best regards,

Debbie