Patient Lifts

Hello! My 88-year-old, wonderful Dad was diagnosed with IBM last Oct., after years of tests, doctors, PT, etc. He has progressed from playing golf 6 days a week (one year ago) to being in a wheelchair, using a hospital bed, and needing two-person assist with transfers. PT and OT have basically signed off, saying there is nothing they can do for him. We currently are looking into patient lifts, to assist with the transfers. He lives in our family home with my 86-year-old mom, who is an active and strong woman, but who is getting worn out. Does anyone have experience with patient lifts (Hoyer, SureHands, etc.)? Recommendations? Will Medicare pay some of the cost?

Hi Teresa,

I know that we have had others with this kind of question in the past.

Here is one such discussion that you may want to hop in on to discuss some options: http://forum.myositissupport.org/forum/topics/mobility-equipment?commentId=5341026%3AComment%3A25159

Best,
M

Teresa I had to get one for me my husband had trouble helping me up and I fall down way to much, I got mine from Delta Medical Supply and yes SS helped me a lot. hope you can get one she will be able to help him and so will you takes up some room but it is a great thing to have make sure they get a seat that fits his size for sure, good luck !

Bethann said:

Teresa I had to get one for me my husband had trouble helping me up and I fall down way to much, I got mine from Delta Medical Supply and yes SS helped me a lot. hope you can get one she will be able to help him and so will you takes up some room but it is a great thing to have make sure they get a seat that fits his size for sure, good luck !

Thanks so much for your reply, Bethann! Could you tell me the make and manufacturer of your lift? Invacare? Reliant? SureHands?

Thanks so much for your reply, Bethann! Could you tell me the make and manufacturer of your lift? Invacare? Reliant? SureHands?

Sure can it's made by Drive Medical it seems to be strong and can pick up a lot of weight I would think you could get one from any Medical Supply Store or here is a number 877-■■■■■■■■ I hope you can get ahold of some one close so there will no shipping charge for it is heavy but on rollers so easy to move. Good luck and let me know if I can be of help ! Bethann !

Teresa said:

Bethann said:

Hi Theresa
I faced the the same challenge of needing a lift for my husband. I have a boyer lift. It was paid through Medicare . Unfortunately this lift is very difficult to maneuver . I need the stand up , electrical power lifted.
I was not aware it was covered by Medicare. I explored the electrical stand up body lift and it is at least. $700 and up. I think it would be to your advantage . My husband is over 6 ft and has stage 4 IBM.
I would recommend looking into the stand up lift for your father. This would help tremendously.
If Medicare pays for this type of lift please share with me.
Sorry about your Dad,
Linnie

Bethann said:

Linne where did you come up with the stand up lift ? That sounds good to me also for our lift is so hard to move and to can't always fit in the room but it does work but I see what you are saying didn't know there was a stand up electric one so I would also want one ! bethann

Information regarding the electric or manual lift can be found online under medical equipment or check Craigslist.
When my husband was at the rehabilitation center is when I first saw it being used. It was much more easier and convenient. When he came home Medicare would only cover the Hoyer lift, although it was a blessing as stated, it is difficult for me to use. Since we have had to make many major changes to our home , expensive Rx’s and special foods, I can not afford this type of lift at this time. In the very near future I will or I 'm beginning to look into a nursing center for my husband . Due to the progression of this disease, his motor skills are just about gone.
Since I provide most of his care I know all equipment is needed.
If

Oh ! Linnie I am so sorry to hear the things you are going through and what your husband is suffering so much, I do understand also I am so close to going into to a health care system for if I didn't have my husband I would be gone allready. I am going to look into another lift also for the one we have is just good in some rooms but not in others. This disease is so bad and so hard on all of us patients and care givers alike, please know I do understand just try to stay strong and go slow your husband feels very bad also and it's so hard to be helpless when you are used to being strong to weak it's painful in many ways. Sending Gentle Hugs to both of you !