What's Your Favorite Movie and Why?

I know this is off-topic, but I want to know!

What's your very favorite movie and why? If you have more than one because it's hard to pick just one (I know that feeling!), then list them!

Mine is "While you were sleeping". The reason(s) it's my favorite? It has my favorite actress in it (Sandra Bullock), an adorable cast, and it makes me feel good every single time I watch it.

Looking forward to hearing about your favorite flicks!!


I very much love the Emma Thompson version of Jane Austen's Persuasion. It is visually perfect, and the ending makes me cry every time.

I have favorites in different categories. Kids movies: Brave and Frozen are my recent favorites. My four year old and I love the soundtracks. As for me, I love most Tom Hanks movies and Meryl Streep movies. Cold Mountain is a good one too. I love Renee Z’s part.
Comedies…Tropic Thunder and Nacho Libre are the only stupid kind of movies I think are hilarious. I usually don’t go for those, but horror movies got crossed off my list when I got diagnosed and I guess my brain substituted that category with dumb humor. Lol

Thanks for posting this question. I want to read everyone’s responses.

Cold Mountain was a good one, wasn't it? I liked the book, too.

I haven’t seen either version of Persuasion, looks like I have another for my list.

Selina, Frozen was awesome!

And I have to say anyone who likes Tom Hanks is alright with me :slight_smile:

Though not a movie, I am a huge Downton Abbey fan, Gosford Park is very bland after watching DA, even though the writer is the same and the cast fantastic!

I keep a large selection of kid's movie's here, and I'd say, Waterhorse, Shrek, and Polar Express are favorites, though I have many. My grand kids love The Grench, of course! Watched The Wizzard of Oz a million times with my granddaughters when they were small, they called it 'The Old Witch'! LOL! She was memorable! That's me on Prednisone! Yes, really!

Let me think about my favorite movie...that's a tough one, Nichole, but a good one!

BTW, I do like Emma Thompson, and Meryl Streep is my favorite! My Mom wants to see Meryl's new one when it hits pay per view, or HBO, whichever comes first! Kathy Bates is also very powerful, she was unbelievable in Misery!

Oh yes, Cold Mountain was great! Nicole Kidman is great, and Rene surely took the cake there!

I have a list:

Napoleon Dynamite

Contact

It's a wonderful life (waaaa I cry after 9 seconds in)

A brief encounter (waaaaaa I cry after 30 seconds in)

Predator (the first one only)

There's probably more, but they are my top ones

What about top fiction books?

Mine are Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Stand, The Magus and anything by Saki

Hi Susie,

I'm a Susan too, but chose SK, knowing there would be lots of Susan's and Suzie/Susie/Suzy's here!

I'm pretty sure I've seen A Brief Encounter, I used to watch the old B&W on late night every chance I would get! If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was epic!

I like all of the movies you've mentioned, and the 'Hitcher's' for sure, seems that and 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence' were requirements for my generation, however of the two, Hitchers, much better! Oh yes, the Stand. The other two, not yet!

As far as reading, I'm an Egyptology nut, so I collect and read a lot of dry ancient history, but I loved 'Atlas Shrugged', 'Sarum', and 'Myia'. 'Uarda' perhaps my favorite, though Mailer hit it with 'Ancient Evenings'!

I'm still contemplating favorite movies!

Nice to hear from you, I'm new to your group!

Wishing you well,

SK

Hi SK,

Yes, brief encounter is the B&W late 40s I think film about a man and a woman (both married) who fall in love at a train station. I've been to the actual station in fact, now not working, but it looks the same, very quaint and English.

I don't think I ever red Zen and... but I might have, I did read Jonathon Livingston Seagull, which was another from that era.

I am a pre-history lover, especially human evolutionary theory, so my non fiction books are of that ilk, one by David Leakey about palaeontology really captured me and started my love of all things ancient. I am particularly interested in social evolutionary theory and behavioural ecology. But I love all science really.

Nice to hear form you too.

*said in jest because you are a friend*

I never said you were allowed to make a list!

Great list Susan, but would you believe I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life? It' on my list of must sees. There's an old theatre by my house that plays in every year around Christmas.

The Stand was great, I love King in general…we have a section at the top for "Books", that's where I suggested James Patterson, have you read any of those? Very good mystery series writer.

Thanks for your list!!

Susiemorrow said:

I have a list:

Napoleon Dynamite

Contact

It's a wonderful life (waaaa I cry after 9 seconds in)

A brief encounter (waaaaaa I cry after 30 seconds in)

Predator (the first one only)

There's probably more, but they are my top ones

What about top fiction books?

Mine are Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Stand, The Magus and anything by Saki

I've yet to meet a Susie/Susan that I don't like!! Must be in the name ;-)

SK said:

Hi Susie,

I'm a Susan too, but chose SK, knowing there would be lots of Susan's and Suzie/Susie/Suzy's here!

I'm pretty sure I've seen A Brief Encounter, I used to watch the old B&W on late night every chance I would get! If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was epic!

I like all of the movies you've mentioned, and the 'Hitcher's' for sure, seems that and 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence' were requirements for my generation, however of the two, Hitchers, much better! Oh yes, the Stand. The other two, not yet!

As far as reading, I'm an Egyptology nut, so I collect and read a lot of dry ancient history, but I loved 'Atlas Shrugged', 'Sarum', and 'Myia'. 'Uarda' perhaps my favorite, though Mailer hit it with 'Ancient Evenings'!

I'm still contemplating favorite movies!

Nice to hear from you, I'm new to your group!

Wishing you well,

SK

It's a Wonderful Life is great, Nichole -- don't miss it!

Ok, this is the year I'll go! I know my daughter would like it too.

dancermom said:

It's a Wonderful Life is great, Nichole -- don't miss it!

Lists are greaaatttttt - we need more lists on here, like what are your top 5 most hated things to do, list you top 5 best foods and so on

I've not read any Patterson, ill look out for it. I found when I got DM that I couldn't read for long periods (I got too tired) so I got into audio books instead

you MUST want its a wonderful life, OMG you'll love it Nicole

The Leaky's are amazing! Margaret Mead is another, who enriched our lives with her dedication and passion!

You might like all of Rutherfurd's works, he takes 6 or 8 families from the dawn of man, and takes you through to present day with their descendants. His books spotlight, Sarum (the Salisbury Plain, site of Stone Henge), or the King's forest, another is London, he also includes Paris and another book is on Russia. They are beautifully written, expertly researched!

I was once a prolific reader, back when I could concentrate, and retain...

Susiemorrow said:

Hi SK,

Yes, brief encounter is the B&W late 40s I think film about a man and a woman (both married) who fall in love at a train station. I've been to the actual station in fact, now not working, but it looks the same, very quaint and English.

I don't think I ever red Zen and... but I might have, I did read Jonathon Livingston Seagull, which was another from that era.

I am a pre-history lover, especially human evolutionary theory, so my non fiction books are of that ilk, one by David Leakey about palaeontology really captured me and started my love of all things ancient. I am particularly interested in social evolutionary theory and behavioural ecology. But I love all science really.

Nice to hear form you too.

See Susan, I need your Vice Presidential support ;-)

I think the list idea is great, maybe every week?

I just got tested for sleep apnea and narcolepsy and part of the questionnaire was how likely are you to fall asleep while reading a book…well, that's hard to determine whether it's DM or other issues! But I fall asleep driving, while having a conversation, it's not good.

I just can't do audio books! The voices creep me out!

Let's do lists!!! I'll talk to Madre, Maren and SK and we'll come up with some more lists along the way, it will be fun!


Susiemorrow said:

Lists are greaaatttttt - we need more lists on here, like what are your top 5 most hated things to do, list you top 5 best foods and so on

I've not read any Patterson, ill look out for it. I found when I got DM that I couldn't read for long periods (I got too tired) so I got into audio books instead

you MUST want its a wonderful life, OMG you'll love it Nicole

I love it! I'm in, I walk out of the house without my shoes without a list!! Trouble is I don't realize it until I've arrived at the destination! LOL!

SK - I have read Sarum! Ha! Im rubbish with names. It was an epic alright and an excellent read.

Nicole..those voices that creep you out...are you sure they are the audio book voices ad not inside your head ;-)

I've got sleep apnoea - I was actually fainting in bed just before diagnosis and the doctors wouldn't believe me