Shingles help please!

Hello friends!

I presented with bubbly, clusters of burning rashes a few days ago and blew it off. I went to the doctor yesterday after the advice of some of my FB support group friends…they recognized the rash as none other than the yucky Shingles.

The doc gave me a script and told me it may not work since I didn’t come in within 72 hours of the rash presenting itself.

It burns and hurts. I’m taking my Vicodin and putting Hydrocortisone cream on it but it still hurts.

Any suggestions?

Ugh, I'm sorry too hear it, Nichole. Just no aspirin, that's for sure. I hope you get over this soon.

Apply corn starch or baking soda to help dry out and heal faster… I hope you heal fast.

Thank you! I won't take aspirin…what would that do?

dancermom said:

Ugh, I'm sorry too hear it, Nichole. Just no aspirin, that's for sure. I hope you get over this soon.

Thanks April. I bought some oatmeal bath soak to try tonight. I'll also put some corn starch on it. I appreciate the tip. It's spreading fast and driving me nuts.

aprils07 said:

Apply corn starch or baking soda to help dry out and heal faster... I hope you heal fast.

I hit send to soon apply ice packs on your sores for 10 minutes at a time all through the day for pain. Also (Burow’s or Domeboro solution) you can but it st the pharmacy…You can also apply cold compresses every time you clean your sores, I personally use Liquid Advill for pain it works better than regular Advill.

I am so very to hear this and I may not be very encouraging but it should help you to know what you may go through. You did not say where it has affected you...two years ago this Sept I had it down my left arm, back and under left breast. It is the most painful thing imaginable, I hate to tell you this but there is nothing that will relieve the pain. The only medication that will ease things if you can take it is I could not take it as it made me feel very woozy for days on end and I had a dog to look after. . I did take 8 vicodin a day so I could rest a little. I could not dress or do anything for myself, it was a struggle to feed my dog and I never did eat my self except some cheese in the fridge. I was in agony for a month and probably due to my immune system being compromised with Myosits I still suffer with Post Hepetic Neuralgia, Constant itching in my arm but at least no pain. I am giving you a worst case that I had just so you know what you may go through and just be assured it will go away and I hope you don't get it even a 1/4 of what I had. Please hang in and you will be in my prayers as I know the pain.

I think there is a potential risk of Reye's Syndrome, same as with chicken pox: https://reyessyndrome.wordpress.com/category/shingles/

Nichole Smith said:

Thank you! I won't take aspirin…what would that do?

dancermom said:

Ok, thanks April!

aprils07 said:

I hit send to soon apply ice packs on your sores for 10 minutes at a time all through the day for pain. Also (Burow's or Domeboro solution) you can but it st the pharmacy..You can also apply cold compresses every time you clean your sores, I personally use Liquid Advill for pain it works better than regular Advill.

Oh Zara! I feel terrible that you went through it so horribly. I think I'm on day 4 or 5 and I'm in pain, but it doesn't sound quite as bad as how yours was. I did lose my appetite because of the pain and nothing has touched the pain, but I can bare it. At night is probably the hardest because of trying to sleep.

It is down my right inner arm and inner elbow, wrist and palm, starting to run up my upper bicep now too. It's on my upper right back and just now appearing on the right side of my chest.

I've read about the Post Hepetic Neuralgia, that's awful…

Thank you for reaching out to me with your experience and for your prayers, I'll keep you in mine as well!

Zara King said:

I am so very to hear this and I may not be very encouraging but it should help you to know what you may go through. You did not say where it has affected you...two years ago this Sept I had it down my left arm, back and under left breast. It is the most painful thing imaginable, I hate to tell you this but there is nothing that will relieve the pain. The only medication that will ease things if you can take it is I could not take it as it made me feel very woozy for days on end and I had a dog to look after. . I did take 8 vicodin a day so I could rest a little. I could not dress or do anything for myself, it was a struggle to feed my dog and I never did eat my self except some cheese in the fridge. I was in agony for a month and probably due to my immune system being compromised with Myosits I still suffer with Post Hepetic Neuralgia, Constant itching in my arm but at least no pain. I am giving you a worst case that I had just so you know what you may go through and just be assured it will go away and I hope you don't get it even a 1/4 of what I had. Please hang in and you will be in my prayers as I know the pain.

Lyrica should help somewhat, maybe. But there are side effects as there are with most medications. If the pain is that bad then in my opinion it would be worth a try. If the dr gave you acyclovir.(an antiviral) I’d still take it even though your into this longer than 72 hrs. I know from my experience with cold sores ( also a similar virus) no matter when I take it, it still helps. It shortens the length of time for them to resolve. The cold ice paks help as well. I know how bad cold sore feel and if it’s anything like that,ugh. The itching burning pain, then after they blister the least little movement of my lip, causes it to crack open and bleed, then the pain all over again. Good luck, be careful to not get secondary infections too, make sure your clothing is very clean before putting on. And most importantly stay away from others as it is contagious. God bless and good luck

Oh girlfriend, I feel for you! I agree with Wendy on the Lyrica, and double up on the probiotics, they will always help this virus!

Take it easy, stress will only make this worse, so find a way to chill out!

My heart goes out to you, hope you can kick this very soon!

See if you can use something like Ethyl Chloride spray or even OTC stuff like dermaplast, or solarcaine. Some type of numbing spray for the pain and itching!

I had it 5 years ago across my face. I started on the antiviral too late, ended up taking hydrocodone and then finally took Lyrica. Took Lyrica for a year.

Just got a repeat a few weeks ago. (exactly 5 years later - to the week) Started on antiviral immediately. I had just pain and no sores yet. They also gave me a nerve pain med. I took the nerve pain med for a few days and was able to switch to ibuprofen.

I can look tomorrow at the name of the nerve pain med - if you want me to.

I also had a shingles vaccine after the first round of shingles. I never thought I'd get it again.

Hey Farmer Gal,

Sorry you got it twice! If you could find the nerve med that be good, if not, no big deal. I think the doc has decided that he is not giving me anything else.

A lot of mine started scabbing so I thought it was going away, then I started getting more and more. Plus now I’m getting more pain and the flu like symptoms. Also I’ve had to bad migraines two days in a row.

This sucks for sure!!

I am so sorry you are still suffering, I do know how you feel, it was over a month before mine started to go away but the itching stays, I don't scratch, just rub. I am sitting here itching like crazy over my back and arm and it is two years later. It is a known fact that there is nothing but time to give it. As long as you have any remnants of it they will not give you a shingles shot but a warning to those that have never had shingles, get the shot! Unless you have had it you will never know the pain associated with it. You are in my prayers for relief soon, hang in there

The itching stays? That's bad! Sorry to hear that all around, for us both!

The nurse called me back today after discussing it with the doctor and he said to take me off of all immuno-suppressants for now and to go see my primary care since it's still spreading even though I'm on the medication.

I'm going to ask about a nerve medication too, I keep getting nerve pain from my shoulder down to my wrist/hand. Plus two days in a row the worst migraines I've had in a while.

Thanks for your response, and prayers. You'll be in mine also. I hope your itching stops! I've heard that the brain keeps your body thinking that it's there so you continue to itch, I forgot the name of the response, but not good!

Take care!!

Zara King said:

I am so sorry you are still suffering, I do know how you feel, it was over a month before mine started to go away but the itching stays, I don't scratch, just rub. I am sitting here itching like crazy over my back and arm and it is two years later. It is a known fact that there is nothing but time to give it. As long as you have any remnants of it they will not give you a shingles shot but a warning to those that have never had shingles, get the shot! Unless you have had it you will never know the pain associated with it. You are in my prayers for relief soon, hang in there

I'm just seeing these messages, I haven't been really active here, sorry! I did end up going to the ER July 3rd because the on call doctor wouldn't give me Lyrica, she said she was concerned the nerve pain could be related to something other than my shingles. So I went to the ER with major nerve pain which I still have, on a pain scale of 1-10 it's between a 6 and 7 when it hits which is everyday. They wanted to give me a shot of dilodin pain killer, but I couldn't get a ride home. I probably wouldn't have taken the dilodin because both my mom and granny are allergic (my mom actually died and was brought back to life after being given it)…

So I was given a script of Lyrica and Percocet….ladies….I am not happy with the side effects of either. I only take the Percocet when I know I'm not going anywhere, because I'll just sleep…but the Lyrica??? I can't even walk straight, think straight, it's weird. Plus I hear it can cause major weight gain. So I called my primary care doc yesterday and the nurse said I won't have to be on the Lyrica forever, just until this goes away. But my question is, how long will it be unit the nerve pain goes away???

If anybody knows I'd love to know. Thanks, and sorry I've been MIA :-)

nicole

as you build a tolerance to the percoset it wont make you sleep. im not sure what strength your on but cut them in 2 instructions say take every1 every 4 hrs then take half every 2 hrs. or if it say every 6 hrs take 1/2 every 3 hrs. that way, even tho your taking them, your not taking a full dose at once. ive been on percoset for 5 yrs and finally they don't make me groggy as much as they did in the beginning. the lyrica helped with my pain, but my hands swelled something aweful and it caused me to gain a bunch weight (which I don't need, because or arthritis in my knees getting worse with added weight). My background is medical, having worked alongside of different types of drs for the last 30 years, I hate to tell you, but the nerve pain could go on for a very long time, or it could go away as quickly as it came on. prednisone sometimes help with the pain too because of the reduction of inflammation, but as im sure you already know that too can cause other issues. have you tried ice paks on the areas that hurt? im guessing the arm pain could be also contributing to your migraines as well. also if your insurance covers it, acupuncture might help, something to consider. also not sure if you've ever tried aromatherapy, that can help relax you. lavender is wonderful for the calming effects. hang in there baby girl, positive thoughts bring positive energy, try to keep your spirits up....prayers prayers and more coming your way

oh I forgot one other thing, if your scabs are gone you can use lidocaine patches, they can be a life saver. or maybe the dr could give you topical lidocaine. it numbs the heack out of you, ive also used that for years,it helps my muscle pain.

wendy krauss said:

nicole

as you build a tolerance to the percoset it wont make you sleep. im not sure what strength your on but cut them in 2 instructions say take every1 every 4 hrs then take half every 2 hrs. or if it say every 6 hrs take 1/2 every 3 hrs. that way, even tho your taking them, your not taking a full dose at once. ive been on percoset for 5 yrs and finally they don't make me groggy as much as they did in the beginning. the lyrica helped with my pain, but my hands swelled something aweful and it caused me to gain a bunch weight (which I don't need, because or arthritis in my knees getting worse with added weight). My background is medical, having worked alongside of different types of drs for the last 30 years, I hate to tell you, but the nerve pain could go on for a very long time, or it could go away as quickly as it came on. prednisone sometimes help with the pain too because of the reduction of inflammation, but as im sure you already know that too can cause other issues. have you tried ice paks on the areas that hurt? im guessing the arm pain could be also contributing to your migraines as well. also if your insurance covers it, acupuncture might help, something to consider. also not sure if you've ever tried aromatherapy, that can help relax you. lavender is wonderful for the calming effects. hang in there baby girl, positive thoughts bring positive energy, try to keep your spirits up....prayers prayers and more coming your way