Physical Therapy

Hi all,

Started PT again for my DM. So far am having good PT sessions especially with stretching. Next week they are going to use this machine on me to try and break up my calcium deposits. It is like a mini Jackhammer. It is going to hurt but if it works it will be worth it.

Robert, the calcium treatment sounds awful, but I hope it does work. The logistics makes sense! I'm glad to hear the PT sessions are going well!

You're in my thoughts!

Thanks Nichole. I try and do PT at home by myself. I am a stay at home dad due to my DM and try and take care of my house. I use cleaning as physical therapy. What a fun illness?

Hi, Robert:

I was diagnosed with polymyositis 6 years ago and thank goodness I do not have alot of pain, but I am wondering about this issue of calcium deposits. Could you explain anything you have learned about them to me?. The reason I am asking is, on my last mammogram they noticed areas that they wanted to keep an eye on but determined they were calcium deposits. Is this common in myositis suffers? Good luck with your PT. I think it really helps. I went because of a dislocated shoulder caused by muscle,tendon, bone weakness after 6 years of being on prednisone. My physical therapist started giving me exercises for core, arm and leg muscles and I feel better than have in 6 years! Don' t lose hope!

Hi Susan,

Calcium deposits are common in myositis patients. I have them on my legs and arms. I use ice which has helped and now my pt gave me a cream which might work. I actually had a mammogram( was not a fun test) a few years ago because I had a lump in my breast. Turned out to be calcium deposit and had it removed. Sometimes they go away on their own. You can contact me anytime if you have a question. Been through it all in the past 13 years.

Robert
■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Thanks for the post!

Hey JC,

PT really helped me too when I was going. This time I'm going to try the hydrotherapy if I can find one in my area. Do you know if anybody has ever checked into stem cell for our disease. I have IBM and my daughter has been doing research in that area. Just makes me nervous because a lot of it is outstate. Hope the PT makes you feel better.

Jackie Reimold said:

Hey JC,

PT really helped me too when I was going. This time I'm going to try the hydrotherapy if I can find one in my area. Do you know if anybody has ever checked into stem cell for our disease. I have IBM and my daughter has been doing research in that area. Just makes me nervous because a lot of it is outstate. Hope the PT makes you feel better.