Dermatomyositis and muscle stiffness and pain

Hi everyone. I have dermatomyositis. I'm on Cellcept and Plaquenil. I'm wondering if anyone else experiences muscle stiffness, pain and weakness. Sometimes it is really hard to walk, or even stand. I am especially stiff if I sit at my desk for a few hours and then try to get up and walk. Taking my granddaughter to a store or anyplace that doesn't have a chair available for me to sit and rest is almost impossible. I simply can't be on my feet for more than about 10 minutes. Anybody have any similar experiences, or tips? God bless you all.

I have stiffness in my thighs and upper arms. I try and stretch the muscles as much as I can. I also use muscle creams. I use a cane to get around outside and hold onto objects in the house to get around, muscle creams help as well.

Robert said:

I have stiffness in my thighs and upper arms. I try and stretch the muscles as much as I can. I also use muscle creams. I use a cane to get around outside and hold onto objects in the house to get around, muscle creams help as well.

Suzy said: Is the cream you use Anecream? I am sorry to hear about your illness. I should try to do more stretching. Thanks for the advice.

Robert said:

Yes I experience the same problems, I am disabled due to the illness, I have the pain and muscle weakness in my legs and the pain in the hips and knees, it is real bad anytime I am trying to stand I have excruciating pain in my legs and lower back. I have taken so many different pain medications and nothing is helping me I have chronic pain 24/7.

I know that I'm a little late to this discussion, but I have a set of daily stretches that I was given when I attended a Fibro care course at the Mayo Clinic. If I don't do them everyday, I start to stiffen up and it just gets worse every day that I don't stretch.
I also find a lot of relief from doing gentle yoga. I have a few DVDs that I purchased from Amazon for chronic pain that help.

Ideas for exercise for chronic pain - http://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/best-workouts-chronic-pain-and-fibromyalgia

Yoga DVDs:
Healing Yoga for Common Conditions
Yoga: Gentle Practice

Best, Maren