Start of Healing Process?

My Dermatomyositis was diagnosed around the 15th July this year. The first manifestations were the itchy and bulging rashes on my scalp, then on my soles, palms and then on my face. Muscles on my knees started to ache as well then my arms. My white blood count went so high, evidence of blood infection. My Dermatologist immediately endorsed me to a new Doctor, an Internist who immediately put me on 40mgs of Prednisone for 5 days, tapered down to 20, 10 and now I am on my 4th day of 5mgs. She also asked me to go on a cleansing diet of not eating rice, pasta, bread; sugar in any form; dairy; chicken & eggs; lentils/legumes; seafood & fish; canned foods for 3 months. Also, to only use sea salt on my food no other condiments. For the past 3 days I noticed that my rashes are slowly going away and the pain on my arms and legs are waning as well. I followed the diet religiously, eating only the following: boiled oxtail or minced beef with lots of blanched veggies like spinach, cabbage, broccolli; carrots; pineapple; juiced beets/carrots/apple; bitter gourd. I basically eat the veggies raw. On daily basis I alternate these foods. Deep inside me I believe that the elimination of gluten, sugar & dairy in my diet plus the consumption of the foods mentioned helped me to recover fast. I was able to get help and my disease was diagnosed early, I have a feeling that I can beat the disease.

Thank you for sharing, Virgo. There is a lot to be said about following the Autoimmune Diet or Autoimmune Paleo, which is avoiding foods that can contribute to inflammation.
I personally have not yet gotten to a point where I can focus on diet since just handling/recovering from my most recent flare really knocked me out, but hope to be able to implement more diet changes to accompany my medication in the future. The author or The Autoimmune Protocol, Dr. Terry Wahls was able to get completely off of her MS medications and get into remission with diet alone, which is pretty remarkable.
Many patients use alternative approaches in addition to medication to help control symptoms.
I personally meditate often and work on daily stretching to help keep my muscles and mind balanced.

So glad to hear your diet is having positive effect - it is a big ask to give up on foods we eat regularly. With polymysitis I also have incorporated many of the same foods but at this stage still hard to give up on eggs, chicken bread, dairy, legumes that I enjoy. So your post has given me some inspiration - thank you.

Hi Maren & Aries - thank you so much for your comments. With what I've gone through at the onset when my DM wasn't diagnosed as yet, I promised myself that I will do anything that will ensure that I won't go through the same experience again. Thank you Maren for giving me an insight on The Walsh Protocol. To be honest, I am convinced that my diet has aided me in managing my DM. Aries, I have been out of steroids for almost 2 weeks now. I am just on 4 mgs. of antihistamine tabs (AM & PM). Chicken & eggs are definitely out of my diet. Indeed, DM is a test of discipline and determination.

I read an article recently which said all autoimmune diseases are caused by gluten and wheat! I’ve also been on a cleansing diet and since I’ve stopped eating gluten (and have been making lots of fruit and vegetable juices) and I must admit I do feel much better for it… less pain and more energy! :slight_smile:

I have also been on a gluten free, low sugar, low salt , no dairy diet. My doctor has commented that I have had remarkable results, muscles are pain free, strength is coming back, just a few rash issues that are controllable. The diet seemed difficult at first, but after 6 months, there is no turning back, I love it.

Jax how long have you had DM?

JAX said:

I have also been on a gluten free, low sugar, low salt , no dairy diet. My doctor has commented that I have had remarkable results, muscles are pain free, strength is coming back, just a few rash issues that are controllable. The diet seemed difficult at first, but after 6 months, there is no turning back, I love it.

I was diagnois in May 2015, but had symptoms for about 5 months prior. At my worst I couldn’t do stairs or hold my arms up to blow dry my hair. I didn’t realize how much pain I was in until it was gone.

Wow well I have been fighting this since October 2012 I guess I am just so far into the illness it seems like nothing helps with my pain, I have chronic pain 24/7 in my arms, hips and knees, I also have it in my lower back but I think that is my sciatica. I take about 18 pills a day between my morning and night meds. I go to every doctor there possible is, I have even tried natural healing and it seems like that doesn't help. I am at a lost right now I have gotten to the point where I just deal with the pain on a daily basis. I also have the ILD that usually comes along with it at one time I was on oxygen but thank God I was able to get off of it but it seems like I will be back on it soon because of my breathing when I am walking I am so glad you found a way to relieve your pain. I will continue to pray for you because if anybody knows what pain is I DO...lol