Help plz... rashes!

If you see a dermatologist, ask him/her about Cutaneous Lupus. Mine started out with two roundish spots on thigh. I didn't pay too much mind to them until a year later when one turned dayglo pink with a purple/green center. "That's not good"! My great dermatologist did a biopsy (no big deal) and report came back "Sub Acute Cutaneous Lupus".

Hi Maren,

thanks for responding. I recently had a biopsy and it came back as granuloma annulare, whose cause is unknown, but is associated with autoimmune problems and diabetes. EERRRRGGGGG!!!!

Take care,

Marie

Maren Holzinger said:

Hi Chimeraskeep!

A common issue with DM is something called Gottron's Papules.

MDA has a really great article with illustrations of inflammatory activity within the cells. Click here for the article.

Two biopsoes of active Gottron's Papules on my fingers is what initially diagnosed my DM. I blogged throughout my diagnosis if it's helpful for you. Click here for The Maren Update :-)

Hope this info helps!

M

Chimeraskeep, the Wikipedia page on granuloma annulare is very informative, This bit jumped out at me: "The condition is usually seen in otherwise healthy people. Occasionally, it may be associated with diabetes or thyroid disease. It has also been associated with auto-immune diseases such assystemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, and Addison's disease."

Hi Jambs,

Thanks for writing to me. I just posted to Maren as well that the biopsy showed granuloma annulare. I also just got blood work results back, and was negative for Lupus. Your rash sounds lovely - never heard of a green center!! OMG!!!

Best of luck,

Marie

Jambs said:

If you see a dermatologist, ask him/her about Cutaneous Lupus. Mine started out with two roundish spots on thigh. I didn't pay too much mind to them until a year later when one turned dayglo pink with a purple/green center. "That's not good"! My great dermatologist did a biopsy (no big deal) and report came back "Sub Acute Cutaneous Lupus".

yes dancermom, i actually read that page myself. Sometimes GA is regarded as idiopathic/benign, but as you pointed out, it has also been associated with certain illnesses. For years I've also suffered with tinea versicolor, thin hair, and livedo reticularis, and I can't help but think that all these strange manifestations must have some underlying cause.

Thanks for sharing the info,

Marie (chimeraskeep)

dancermom said:

Chimeraskeep, the Wikipedia page on granuloma annulare is very informative, This bit jumped out at me: "The condition is usually seen in otherwise healthy people. Occasionally, it may be associated with diabetes or thyroid disease. It has also been associated with auto-immune diseases such assystemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis, and Addison's disease."

Hi Chimeraskeep!
Nice to have a little more information but that still doesn't take away the frustration of dealing with your rash! I hope that your doctors have been able to help you control it a little more to at least make you more comfortable.
Know that I have been thinking of you and hope that you're getting more answers!
Did you say that you had seen a rheumatologist? They may be able to help connect the dots!
XO

Hi Chimeraskeep!

I hope you find out what it is soon - it's so frustrating when you don't know the name of your adversary. Have you seen a dermatologist? My leg spots don't look like yours - yours are more diffuse - mine are more definite spots, maybe 2" in diameter. I had the first 2 for a year before I knew they weren't old spider/bug bite spots. One morning when I woke up the earliest one I had overnight turned bright day-glo pink with a purple/green center! Oh, that's really not good! dermatologist worked me in the next day & biopsied it - came back as Sub Acute Cutaneous Lupus Erythematosis.

I found a picture on the web of legs that look just like yours, and it's said to be 'normal', hope it's yours, something called Livedo Reticularis = http://www.patienthelp.org/diseases-conditions/livedo-reticularis.html

Let us know how it turns out for you, even if it's only to learn the name - then it's not some fearful, nebulous unknown, but once your enemy has an actual name, I think it loses some of it's power. Strength is in information! Knowledge is power! Jambs

Hi Jambs! yes! i am familiar with livedo reticularis and have already been diagnosed with that. yay! it actually has to do with some sort of stagnation in blood circulation. It can be benign but is also associated with many autoimmune disorders. I also have the granuloma annulare rashes everywhere - again, “cause unknown/can be benign” but also linked to AI disorders. Really weird stuff! I am sorry about your rash, but I agree it is more relieving to get answers.
I saw a new neurologist at a top Boston hospital and he seems to think there is some kind of rare central neuralgia/neuropathy. Great!!! I’m just happy to hear a good doctor say “yes, something’s wrong” instead of “wellll, humans weren’t meant to walk upright”. I swear, some of them are sadists. Sorry my reply took so long!! Sometimes I fall off the radar, haha. Thanks for all the words of encouragement. It is relieving to chat like people like you who GET IT!!! … instead of people who just think you are a hypochondriac or hysterical female with “fibromyalgia”. … biggest crock diagnosis ever!!! It just means “We don’t know what’s wrong, so we’ll just call it blah blah blah”.
And yes knowledge is very powerful. In fact, I’ve many times enjoyed teaching egotistical doctors things they didn’t know because all they did was read words in medical books… but are still too stupid to apply it and make connections. MORONS!!!
I hope that all is going alright for you. I’ve learned it’s important to appreciate the good days. And if I have a real sick day, I always tell myself, “It’s okay, I’ll try again tomorrow”. Be well. -ChimerasKeep

Hello Maren! Yes, getting some kind of answer or at least validation is definitely relieving. And yes, I have seen TWO rheumy's. ...still no completely solid answers. One actually had a look of shock when I showed him my legs. Yikes. As I was telling Jambs on here, I recently saw a new neurologist, and he was quite certain that there is something wrong... actually said it looks like something rare. Very validating. Hope the wheels are churning! And I hope that you are doing alright and staying strong. Keep yourself well. (((hugs))) -ChimerasKeep

Maren Holzinger said:

Hi Chimeraskeep!
Nice to have a little more information but that still doesn't take away the frustration of dealing with your rash! I hope that your doctors have been able to help you control it a little more to at least make you more comfortable.
Know that I have been thinking of you and hope that you're getting more answers!
Did you say that you had seen a rheumatologist? They may be able to help connect the dots!
XO